An easy, satisfying salad that’s packed with flavor and won’t leave you feeling hungry again in an hour, this salad is a great opportunity to maximize your veggie intake. It’s equally good as a one-off dinner or lunch, or you can prep a big batch and assemble when you need a quick meal. Best of all, this is easy to individualize – if you don’t like something, leave it out!
Greek Beef Salad
- 400g / 1 lb Ground beef
- 1 Tbs Fresh oregano, or 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cups of lettuce (torn) or fresh spinach
- ½ – 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ – 1 cup diced red capsicum or red bell pepper
- ½ – 1 cup chopped cucumber
- ¼ – ½ cup finely diced red onion
- ¼ – ½ cup chopped Kalamata olives
- ¼ – ½ crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ – ½ Tzatziki
- ½ large cucumber, finely chopped or grated
- 1 cup plain yogurt, regular or greek style
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs dill or mint – optional
Using a medium to large pan over medium heat, cook the beef, garlic, zucchini, and onion until the meat is browned and the vegetables are soft. Mix in the oregano.
Split the remaining salad ingredients between two bowls, using as much as you like of each one. Health tip: The feta will be the most calorie-dense, and has a big flavor, so start small with it. Both the feta and the olives are high in salt and can be omitted if you are limiting your sodium intake.
Spoon half the beef into each bowl, and top with tzatziki for a healthy salad dressing. Yum!